Tertiary and Vocational Education Commission (TVEC) was established in 1991 under the Tertiary and Vocational Education Act No 20 of 1990. It has been functioning under the purview of the Ministry of Vocational Training and Rural industries as a separate unit up to December 1999
A Tertiary and Vocational Education and raining (TVET) system where all seekers of training will have to access to highest possible standards of TEVT that assures gainful gainful employment globally.
As the apex body in the TVET sector, we are committed to establish and maintain an efficient and effective. Tertiary Education and Vocational Training system, which is relevant to socio-economic goals and changing market needs
The general objectives of the commission:
- Policy development, Planning, co-ordination and development of the tertiary education and vocational training at all levels in keeping with human resource needs of the economy.
- Development of a nationally recognized system for granting of tertiary education commission
- Maintenance of academic and training standards in institutes, agencies and all other establishments providing tertiary
2.2 Goals of TVEC
- Formulate, update and implement TEVT policies
- Establish system for Quality Assurance of the TEVT sector
- Establish National Vocational Qualifications System
- Develop, update and monitor Labour Market Information system.
- Develop, update and monitor Management Information system.
- Develop Institutional capacity of the TVEC.
2.3 Major obstacles and issues:
Some of the Sri Lankan training providers do not register their training centre with the T.V.E.C.
2.4 There is no any disable persons working in TVEC
2.5 The annual budget for the year 2006 is Rs, 30 Mn.
2.6 The TVEC does not have any residential facilities at the moment.
2.7 My Position:
Programme Officer (Standards and Accreditation)
I am responsible for overall activities in the Standards and Accredittion division. But establishing system for Quality Assurance for the TEVT sector is my major role.