An increasing choice of vocational education and training program will be made available, so that every school leavers and PWDs, keen to create or improve their occupational competence and employability will find an opportunities that fits to their abilities, personal living conditions and preferences. In-line with the vocational education and training policy. The Department of Human Resources, under the Ministry of Labour and Human resources is providing need-based vocational skills to the people with disabilities and non-disabilities. The special skill development program is one of the main programs under department of Human Resources, entrusted to look after the disabled people in the country. This programme was established in 1997 to develop the Vocational Skills of unprivileged and disadvantaged group of peoples like Juvenile Delinquents, Disabled people. Etc.
The Department of Human Resources (DHR) was an autonomous agency of the Royal Government of Bhutan that was responsible for overseeing all aspects of technical and vocational education and training (TVET) in the country. It was established in May 1999 with the mandate to develop and implement a national TVET system that matches the supply and demand of skilled workers in numbers, quality and expectations.
The DHR board, with members from major stake holders, was the executive body of the authority while the DHR secretariat was the implementing agency. The secretariat was responsible for implementing the directives of the authority, and for coordinating the development and implementation of a national TVET system. All staff of the secretariat, including the head of the secretariat, is appointed by the Royal Civil Service Commission (RCSC). The DHR has also formed numerous committees drawing in members from relevant organizations, both government and private, that facilitate the DHR in performing its functions.
Since the development and implementation of a national TVET system, to produce a skilled, productive and professional workforce in the country, lie at the heart of the DHR, all our activities are centered around the broad objective. Specifically, we are involved in the following:
- Planning, developing and coordinating the implementation of a national system for TVET;
- Formulating policy, planning, coordinating and enabling TVET at all levels;
- Registering, authorizing and coordinating all TVET programmes of institutes, agencies and all other training providers;
- Setting and ensuring minimum academic and training standards in institutes, agencies and all other training providers;
- Promoting and supporting TVET programmes in the general education system;
- Developing a national system for skills standards, testing and certification of skilled workers; and developing partnerships between and among industry and TVET providers.
The Royal government of Bhutan is greatly concerned to provide access to quality education for disabled children within Bhutan. Currently the only provisions for education of disabled children are two rehabilitation schools in the Kingdom. I believe the majority of disabled children are still in the rural areas.
The concept paper is to provide information on the need to establish formal relationship and understanding between the Department of Human Resources, Ministry of Labour and Human Resources and the Department of Education, Ministry of Health and Education for collaboration in providing vocational skill training to the Person with disabilities. The main purpose of this collaboration is to jointly work for a common goal of enhancing socio economy of the nation and to meet the ever-changing needs of the people at the community level for improvement of their quality of life.
- We will be a vibrant institution that contributes to achieving the goals of Bhutan 2020 by enabling a world class TVET system.
- To provide relevant marketable vocational skills that would improve the income of the rural communities and self employment opportunity.
- To increase the quality of life in the communities;
- Enhancing community participation in education and development activities.
- To develop a skilled and productive Workforce for Bhutan.